Senator Jeff Sessions


The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides services, benefits and medical care for those men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States. My office can work with VA Medical facilities and VA Regional offices to insure the goal of excellence in patient care, veterans’ benefits and customer satisfaction. It is an honor to assist our veterans, our hero’s, who have put their lives on the line to defend and preserve our freedom.

In addition to contacting my office, you may also contact one of the offices below to assist you:

VA Montgomery Regional Office: 1-800-827-1000

VA Telephone Advice Program (medical questions): 1-888-651-2683

For those in active duty in our military, please see the Department of Defense link on the previous page.


You will need to complete the Privacy Act waiver form in order for my office to make inquiries on behalf of your request. Be sure to sign the form and include your address and daytime phone number. Return the waiver along with any additional information pertaining to your case to one of my four state offices nearest you.


Are you attempting to have your claim expedited?
By law, the VA must process claims in the order they are received unless an emergency situation exists. This is the only fair way to handle the high number of cases filed with VA offices. If you have an emergency situation, feel free to contact my office. Return to Top
Are you attempting to obtain records or lost or stolen service medals?
Military service records are maintained at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. My office may make an inquiry on your behalf to obtain your records. In some cases, files may have been destroyed by a major fire in 1973. No copies were made of these records before they were destroyed, making them difficult to obtain. Replacement service medals can also be obtained with proper documentation and authorization. Return to Top
Have you experienced difficulty in receiving medical treatment or prescription drugs?
My office can inquire as to the VA’s position in your case, but I cannot overturn the decision of a VA physician with regard to treatment. Return to Top
Have you filed a claim and not recieved information on your case?
My office can inquire as to the status of your pending claim once you have completed the privacy act waiver with the VA claim number listed. Return to Top