Welcome to the United States Senate Service Academy Nomination Application. The purpose of the nomination process is to present our nation’s military academies with the best group of qualified candidates from every area of the country. My nomination functions as a recommendation to the academies and my responsibility is to nominate the most qualified young people in the state of Alabama.
I look forward to reviewing your application. Please click on the link and carefully fill out the online application in its entirety and then use the checklist to determine which other materials you must mail to our Office.
In order to consider your application, it is important that you complete this online application completely and accurately and promptly forward all supporting materials to my Office. Please review the Checklist Items regularly in order to receive updates as your materials are received.
1. Application Form - Complete the following application form
2. Transcript - Request from your guidance counselor or principal the most up-to-date official copy of a transcript of your classes and grades to date.
3. Standardized Test Results - Please provide your test scores from either the ACT or the SAT. If this information is included on your transcript, you do not need to send any further information. To have your scores sent directly to this office, please use the following codes: SAT -1795 or ACT - 7101.
4. Evaluation Forms (.PDF file) - Request that the three forms be completed by your teachers, principal, a counselor, an employer, minister, priest, or rabbi. References should not be relatives of the applicant.
5. Resume - Please attach a resume, list of honors, awards, activities, achievements, employment or any additional information which will provide insight as to your qualification for nomination.
6. Recent Photograph - Please provide a photograph of yourself.
7. Privacy Act Release Form (PDF file) - Please fill out the Privacy Act Release Form
8. Submit - Please send all supporting materials (#2-7) to:
Attn: Military Academy Nominations
Office of Senator Jeff Sessions
326 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510-0104
Phone (202) 224-4124
Fax (202) 224-3149
Staff Contact: Kaitlin Vogt
How & When to Apply
You can begin your application process anytime starting from April of your junior year through October of your senior year in high school. The supporting materials for your application should be postmarked no later than November 8, 2013. For those students currently enrolled in college, the same time frame applies.
This application process is for a congressional nomination, and it is separate from the application you must complete for the academies. If you have contacted other Alabama congressional offices for a nomination, be certain to comply with their deadlines and application requirements as the procedures may differ among offices.
Please address U.S. service academy application questions to the following offices:
*You must be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age on July 1 of the year you want to enter, unmarried, and have no legal obligation to support a child or children.
*Congressional nominations do not guarantee acceptance to the service academies but only assure that your application will be considered first by the review boards.
*Academically, the majority of students accepted to the academies generally are in the top 20 percent of their class, with above-average test scores in math and English.
*Most students who receive appointment offers are active at school and in their community, and many hold leadership roles in sports and other extracurricular activities.
*An evaluation form is provided for your reference. In addition, letters may also be written by three people you choose to offer a recommendation on your behalf. Please do not send more than the required three.
Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) Assistance:
Adobe Acrobat Reader is free software that lets you view and print Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view the PDF files above.